Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Wetsuits and pregnancy don't mix

So I really wish that I had pictures to go along with this post. Let me paint the picture....
7:00am
Lake Lavon
49 Degree air temperature
25 mph wind

This morning Jeff was meeting one of his triathlon training buddies for a little open water swim and these were the conditions that met us at the lake. I was going to be their kayak support. It was pretty chilly with a very strong wind. When we left the house this morning, I wasn't sure what to wear to keep DRY and WARM on the lake. So I grabbed a few things like a windbreaker, sweatshirt, large trash sack (I'll explain), and my wetsuit. I knew that there was no way I was going to use the wetsuit but I'd take it just in case.

When we got to the lake, I was dressed in running shorts with my long sleeved shirt and windbreaker. I decided that the best way to stay completely dry was to put on the wetsuit as much as I could. Now, I knew that with my growing belly I wouldn't be able to get it all the way on but I was hoping for at least half way up to cover my legs. So the struggle began....for any of you that have put on a wetsuit before, you know that it is a lot of hard work! Well - try doing it while you are 5 1/2 months pregnant! I got it up to my knees and was beginning to think that this was a bad idea. But I knew that I would be sorry once I got in the kayak if I didn't get it on. So I had Jeff help me wiggle my legs into the suit and I eventually got it on both of my legs. At this point, I think I was sweating and decided that was high enough. I then took the large trash sack that I brought with me and tore a whole in the bottom and stepped into it oh so gracefully. I then pulled it up and cinched it around my waist so there was no chance of water getting to me while in the kayak.

By this time the guys were ready to start swimming, so I waddled down to the water while they dragged the kayak down there. They got the kayak in the water and I "gracefully" made my way into the lake. Again, I really wish that I would have had my camera. The wind made it a challenging swim because the water was pretty rough. Once I got in the kayak, I did great staying right with them in the water. My purpose is to make sure that they stay on track. Also, if they run into any trouble, I'm right there to help.

Overall, they did great on their open water swim practice. They then went for a little 3 mile run and I drove along with them and gave them water along the way. It's weird not being out there swimming and running with them. But, to be honest, I'm enjoying this little break from triathlon training.

So lesson learned - I probably shouldn't get into my wetsuit while pregnant!

2 comments:

Patty said...

Oh Sarah, this is such a funny story. I DO wish you had your camera. That would have been one for the scrapbooks.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, that's AMAZING!!! wish i was there to see it... you just need to film "a day in the life of pregnant Sarah" so i can see you all cute with your big belly and stuff... love you!